How much does it cost to vaccinate one person?
On average it costs USD 10, but prices can vary widely.
Each vaccine on the market or in the pipeline has different features, and therefore different associated costs. Performing a vaccination in the remote city of Ouahigouya, Burkina Faso is far more expensive than in Dhakka, Bangladesh. This is why it simply isn’t possible to generalize about how much it costs.
Vaccine Forward’s average cost calculations use a number of assumptions that are based on publicly available sources.
- More vaccines will enter the market in 2021 and 2022. There are currently 175 vaccines in pre-clinical trials.
- There are four different types of vaccines against COVD-19 and we assume that the most expensive vaccines (those requiring a freezer supply chain) will not be distributed to low- and middle-income countries.
- Vaccine Forward estimates a cost of USD 3 per vaccine dose based on the Covid-19 Vaccine Market Dashboard and the estimated ceiling for a COVAX AMC procurement.
- Vaccine Forward estimates, based on a UNICEF study, a cost of USD 2 for the injection device and delivery.
- Most vaccines require a two-dose regimen according to current manufacturer recommendations for use, which is reflected in our calculations.
We calculate the average cost of a vaccination to be 10 USD, i.e. two doses (USD 3×2), and two deliveries (USD 2×2). As new information becomes available, these calculations may be adjusted.